Thursday, August 20, 2009

Modern Day Technology - An Additional Stress To Relationships?


First off, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to mee eeeeee, Happy Birthday to me!

Upon my return from my Bday celebration in Vegas this weekend, I sent some pictures out to some of my close friends. I received several responses about one picture in particular. It was the same night as the picture above, however, this picture came out extra PHAT, ya know, Pretty Hot And Tempting :-) One email "Not posting these on FB? Did your man see what you packed? Hmmm..... " Another said "K!! You look juicy, girl! Work it!!! You should put it on Facebook!" After reviewing these responses I realized that Facebook, Myspace, Blogs, and all these other internet neighborhoods can get you in big trouble at home! That picture and all its juicy-ness is now tucked away in the "my pictures" folder on my laptop!

This brought me back to my last post on dude in Miami. Come to find out via one of my Miami travel partners, another reason his wife was upset is because he accepted a "friend request" from some chick he met down in Miami during the weekend. Apparently, oh girl went on her phone upon their meeting and sent him a request. His dumb behind goes on his phone and accepts the request. What is the problem with that you ask? Well, him and his wife SHARE the FB page. lol. Clearly he isn't the sharpest pencil in the box!

So, as I think about this situation it has me wondering how much technology has changed the relationship game. People now have so many outlets to cheat, meet people, seek out old flames, and just full out act a darn fool. Additionally, it's changed the game on catching a cheater. I can't even name the countless stories that I've heard of women finding out dirt on their guy by going through his email, text messages etc. etc.. The paper chain is ILL these days. Back in the day Grandpa could have a whole 2nd family and nobody knew!

So, how much is too much for the internet? Is it okay to have a FB/Myspace/Blog if you're attached? If so, is it okay if you have one and your significant other doesn't know about it? Is there certain "etiquette" that you should use if you have one?

So, let's create a Modern Day Technology & Your Relationship 101 list......Here are 4, feel free to add!

#1 - Please be respectful of who you add as a friend. I don't want to go on your page and see every ex-love slave of yours listed in your friend list

#2 - If you're in a relationship that you both acknowledge, then it should be listed in your profile as well. I know married people listed as single on FB and Myspace. Stop it!

#3 - Be mindful of the pics that you post and risk-ay ones shouldn't be up there! If you put one up, I'll have a problem and if any chicks referenced in #1 make a comment about the pic, we have an even bigger problem!

#4- If you two decide to keep in touch with friends of the opposite sex, pls tell them NOT to call past a certain hour. That includes text messages!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those 4 rules should definitely be adhered to when dealing with FB, Myspace, etc. Good rules to live by now.

Anonymous said...

My husband is not allowed to have a page. I don't play that.

Jamal said...

At a certain point people got to realize it's just a website, and not take things to serious. Of course people need to be respectful of their significant others, but the s/o's can't keep getting all bent out of shape because of their friend list or photos.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with the list that Kasondra provided. I understand what Jamal means too. It is just a website but in a relationship I feel you need to be preventive. And the list provided will prevent any drama further on down the line. Remember yours and your significant other's feelings are involved here. If a person really cares about their partner's feelings then whatever requests or stipulations to having FB, MYSPACE, etc, etc will not be an issue. Look at it as preventive maintenance for your relationship when using technology that's all. I'm done. :)

makeba said...

This came to me in email today and I said how fitting for the blog post. Enjoy!

Here are 12 of the most annoying types of Facebook users:
The Let-Me-Tell-You-Every-Detail-of-My-Day Bore. "I'm waking up." "I had Wheaties for breakfast." "I'm bored at work." "I'm stuck in traffic." You're kidding! How fascinating! No moment is too mundane for some people to broadcast unsolicited to the world. Just because you have 432 Facebook friends doesn't mean we all want to know when you're waiting for the bus.

Don't Miss
Facebook buys FriendFeed: Is this a big deal?
Twitter blackout left users feeling 'jittery,' 'naked'
The Self-Promoter. OK, so we've probably all posted at least once about some achievement. And sure, maybe your friends really do want to read the fascinating article you wrote about beet farming. But when almost EVERY update is a link to your blog, your poetry reading, your 10k results or your art show, you sound like a bragger or a self-centered careerist.

The Friend-Padder. The average Facebook user has 120 friends on the site. Schmoozers and social butterflies -- you know, the ones who make lifelong pals on the subway -- might reasonably have 300 or 400. But 1,000 "friends?" Unless you're George Clooney or just won the lottery, no one has that many. That's just showing off.

The Town Crier. "Michael Jackson is dead!!!" You heard it from me first! Me, and the 213,000 other people who all saw it on TMZ. These Matt Drudge wannabes are the reason many of us learn of breaking news not from TV or news sites but from online social networks. In their rush to trumpet the news, these people also spread rumors, half-truths and innuendo. No, Jeff Goldblum did not plunge to his death from a New Zealand cliff.

The TMIer. "Brad is heading to Walgreens to buy something for these pesky hemorrhoids." Boundaries of privacy and decorum don't seem to exist for these too-much-information updaters, who unabashedly offer up details about their sex lives, marital troubles and bodily functions. Thanks for sharing.

The Bad Grammarian. "So sad about Fara Fauset but Im so gladd its friday yippe". Yes, I know the punctuation rules are different in the digital world. And, no, no one likes a spelling-Nazi schoolmarm. But you sound like a moron.

The Sympathy-Baiter. "Barbara is feeling sad today." "Man, am I glad that's over." "Jim could really use some good news about now." Like anglers hunting for fish, these sad sacks cast out their hooks -- baited with vague tales of woe -- in the hopes of landing concerned responses. Genuine bad news is one thing, but these manipulative posts are just pleas for attention.

The Lurker. The Peeping Toms of Facebook, these voyeurs are too cautious, or maybe too lazy, to update their status or write on your wall. But once in a while, you'll be talking to them and they'll mention something you posted, so you know they're on your page, hiding in the shadows. It's just a little creepy.

The Crank. These curmudgeons, like the trolls who spew hate in blog comments, never met something they couldn't complain about. "Carl isn't really that impressed with idiots who don't realize how idiotic they are." [Actual status update.] Keep spreading the love.

The Paparazzo. Ever visit your Facebook page and discover that someone's posted a photo of you from last weekend's party -- a photo you didn't authorize and haven't even seen? You'd really rather not have to explain to your mom why you were leering like a drunken hyena and French-kissing a bottle of Jagermeister.

The Maddening Obscurist. "If not now then when?" "You'll see..." "Grist for the mill." "John is, small world." "Dave thought he was immune, but no. No, he is not." [Actual status updates, all.] Sorry, but you're not being mysterious -- just nonsensical.

Anonymous said...

My take on the internet blogs, sites, etc is this......If your man/woman is going to do you wrong they are going to do you wrong REGARDLESS. Okay, so your significant other can't have a page, can they then not have a cell phone or email address?? The same people they chat with on sites they can chat with via txt, email, etc...How far do you take the you can't have?? If you live your life saying you can't have what kind of life is that for you and your significant other? To be honest people will have what they want to have. Just like as kids when our parents told us we couldn't go or couldn't have we found a way; a person who is determined will get what they want. If what they want is to cheat, they will cheat. I say all that to say if your significant other is doing you wrong on these sites then they are probably the same people who will do you wrong on vacation and any where else. When what you have is real, I mean really real these sites will mean nothing to your relationship. Just my opinion. =)

Anonymous said...

If anything, new technology means a change of the times. Why not have "her" over for dinner and cocktails. I dont think the Governor of NY would differ with my thought on this one!
Why leave your significant other out of the fun :)

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. This has been a thought of mines for some time now. Those websites can be a very dangerous place if not being mindful of potential viewpoints. Personally, if I've had a relationship w/ the opposite sex outside of us being platonic, I'm not adding you to my friend list. Why, b/c you may not be respectful or happy that I've moved on and at anytime you can post some BS on my page that I'd have to explain.

Personally, I just don't see it as being worth it. It's kinda like those warning signs that you see "Buyer beware" those websites to me are "user beware".

Enter at your own risk!

K-Swiss said...

Yeah, my pet peeve is when an attached man sends me a private msg vs posting on my wall. Dude, we have nothing to discuss that can't be discussed on my public wall. They almost always try and take the convo somewhere else. So, now when ppl send me private msgs like "what's up?" Or "looking good." Etc etc. I respond to them on their private wall. I don't play that, Kasondra plays #2 to NOONE homie! I've never been into kicking it with someone who has someone. Not my style!

Additionally, I'm not getting in trouble in my relationship over you. So, no need to make any attempts on yours truly.