Tuesday, May 4, 2010

White Privilege?

A very good Soror-Friend and I took my daughter to a toddler park in a upper middle-class area of Washington, DC this past weekend. From our standpoint, the kids were kind of mean and didn’t wish to play with my daughter. Additionally, they’d push her or aggressively push her hand away if she attempted to play with them. The parents witnessed their older children mistreat my 17 month old without saying one word in her defense. I rescued my child from each situation (it happened at least 5 times), however, no conversation with the “quiet” watching parent ensued. Later, I realized it was because I didn't want to be viewed as the “angry black woman” at the predominately white park. So, instead I diverted my daughter's attention to other things or I played in the sandbox with her. This situation brought me and my Soror-Friend back to an article that she'd sent me a few years ago entitled, “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible knapsack.”

A quick summary of the article:

The author, a white female, came to the realization that racism is more a system versus an act(s) of meanness. She realized that most white people don’t realize that this “system” is in place, therefore their oppressiveness is unconscious. She calls this idea “white privilege.” She feels that this white privilege is basically a bunch of assumptions that were passed on to her as a white person. She states that as her racial group was being made confident, comfortable, and oblivious, other groups (ie. black/brown people) were likely being made unconfident, uncomfortable, and alienated. She began to count the ways in which she enjoyed unearned skin privilege as a white person.

She lists over 40 items. I’ve chosen a few that I think scream at the experiences that I’ve had. (These are written from the point of view of Peggy who is not a person of color.)

Daily Effects of White Privilege:

1. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a "credit" to my race

2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

4. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that white people made it what it is.

5. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

6. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

8. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or talk with my mouth full, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

9. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

10. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

I loved this article. I always hear the term “institution of racism,” however, I don’t think I ever realized the concept of white privilege and how it has an immediate adverse impact to my life as a person of color. I swear #1 , #10, and #6 really hit home for me

So, after reading this blog and/or the article. Do you agree with this? If you’re a person of color, does this open your eyes to a white privilege that you were also “taught” not to recognize? Do you have any to add to this list that were on Peggy’s list and I chose not to highlight in this blog or do you have any that even Peggy may have missed? Did any of these hit home for you?

7 comments:

A-Boogie said...

This was pretty good! Another example, is when they don't move and just know you gonna wait for them or get out their way....add that...oooh that bothers me!

S.M. said...

dont get how situation with your kid is racism....

TLH (ROC, NY) said...

My favorite growing up was "..you ok" or "you cool for a black kid". As if me and the potential school friend didn't get along because we were both kids of the same age that enjoyed the same sports and games etc.

Muronji said...

Hey Kasondra,
 
I read this article in undergrad and it is one of the few pieces that stuck with me. I thought it was very brave and insightful of Ms. McIntosh to write on this perspective. Its been my experience that very few white people have been able to self-reflect and look at how their white skin has grants them privileges. So, it was refreshing to discover this point of view.
 
I am so sorry you and baby girl had to endure that park experience. While I am sure she was not even aware of the situation I know how you must have been boiling inside. It is sad that Black women have to silence ourselves in situations that any mother/woman would normally be allowed/expected to scream out in protest; silence ourselves b/c we will be looked at as "angry" "overbearing" "overreacting".
 
I hope that more Black people read articles like "White Privelage" because we must know everything that we are up against. We have to walk so many fine lines because of other people's issues, perceptions and unconscious ignorance. We dont have the luxury of unconcsiousness.
 
Ok, we know the white privelege is there. What do we do about it? My answer to most questions like this is: educate and expose. One can not claim ignorance or turn a blind eye when they know who you are. I hope you are brave enough to go back to that park and subtly educate those children and those mothers by playing with their children and striking up a conversation with the moms. It would be an unexpected course of action but who knows what you might learn about each other. Good luck! 

K-Swiss said...

@S.M.

I don't think you "get it." The concept of white Privilege is two pronged.

1st Prong- White people doing little subtle things that they may OR may not realize they are doing due to color. Additionally, white people doing things that they may OR may not realize they are doing that makes another group feel out of place and/or alienated.

2nd Prong - The impact on that "other" people.

If your entire life the 1st prong has happened to you as a person in that group your REACTIONS to certain situations are tailored or should I say catered to that "system" explained above and in Peggy's article.

So, with my daughter, as a black person in this "system," my REACTION to the situation was very much based on this system. I didn't react BECAUSE I didn't want to be perceived as the "angry black woman." Would a white woman feel as though if she makes a comment to someone that she'll be perceived as angry? I doubt it!

The parents not saying anything in defense made me question if their reactions would have been the same if it were a white baby that their 6 year old disrespected.

Again, this falls in line with Peggy's views. She says specifically that when a white person is not respected as a leader, or gets pulled over by a cop, or followed in a store they NEVER have to question if it has to do with race. Unfortunately due to this "system" a person of color ALWAYS has to question if it is due to race...even if it is just a small fleeting thought in their mind...

Do you get it?

roynrd said...

Wow Kasondra, that was deep, me personally I try not to be in a mostly white place/ establishment it gotta be a mixed environment for me for my own personal comfort level.

Anonymous said...

S.M,

This blog was not about racism. The blog is about White Privilege. The two terms are not synonymous. You didn't catch the concept of white privilege if you think the 2 words are synonymous.